Grief and Finding Meaning
This session led by Mandy Doria, LPC, RYT, and Julie Wolfe, MD will explore and validate the various themes of grief, loss, and trauma we collectively experienced due to the COVID-19 pandemic and those that continue to emerge. We will distinguish the types of grief, the difference between grief and depression, and the role of traumatic grief. We will introduce suggested coping strategies and practices for bereavement.
In the second video, additional resources are offered for those interested in learning or reading on more grief and loss.
Refer to pages 8-11 in your Toolkit as you view this video for additional opportunities to personalize this material and increase reflection.
- Grief and Grieving Suggestions from CDC including recognizing signs of Mental Health concerns and how to reach out for help
- Unlocking Us: David Kessler and Brené on Grief and Finding Meaning
- Unlocking Us: Brené and Judd Apatow on Vulnerability and Laughter
- A list of other podcasts about grief: https://www.choosingtherapy.com/grief-podcasts/
- The Importance of Mourning Losses (Even When they Seem Small) from NPR’s Life Kit
- TED Talk from Nora McInerny about the death of a loved one and how to support others “We don’t move on from grief. We move forward with it.”
- Grief and COVID-19: Mourning What We're Missing from the American Psychological Association
- Finding Meaning - Elisabeth Kübler-Ross and David Kessler
- Man’s Search for Meaning - Victor Frankl
- Broken Open: How Difficult Times Help Us Grow - Elizabeth Lesser
- On Death and Dying - Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, M.D.
- On Grief and Grieving - Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, M.D. and David Kessler
- When Things Fall Apart - Pema Chödrön
- Harvard Business Review: The Discomfort You’re Feeling is Grief
- New York Times: Making Meaning out of Grief
- WebMD: What Is Normal Grieving, and What Are the Stages of Grief?